CASA, which stands for Court Appointed Special Advocates, recruits, screens, trains and supervises volunteers to advocate for abused and neglected children involved in the court system to help secure a permanent, safe home.
Who does CASA serve?
We serve all children in the care of Fannin County Children’s Protective Services.
Volunteers are carefully screened and must complete 34 hours of initial training and 2 hours of courtroom observation before being assigned to a case. Volunteer trainings are generally held twice a year in the evenings in the spring and fall.
Once assigned to a case, volunteer advocates make phone calls and visits with the child, family members, therapists, caseworkers, lawyers, teachers and others involved in the child’s life. Advocates attend court hearings and meetings on behalf of the child and advocate for the child’s best interest. They also prepare written reports for the court which describe the information gathered and recommendations for securing a permanent, safe home for the child. Staff closely supervise each case and are available to assist and advise the advocates as needed.
To learn more about what a CASA is, watch this 3 minute video:
Volunteer Information Session
- Tuesday, August 10 from 5:30 – 6:30 pm on Zoom
- Please contact Amanda at email@example.com to get the Zoom link
- Please note that attending the volunteer information session does not obligate you to becoming a volunteer. Also, attending the session is not a requirement to becoming a volunteer, but it can be helpful if you want to learn more or have questions before you decide to apply.
Next CASA Training Class:
In-person classes on August 24 & 31 and September 7 & 16
Plus, online work done at home on your schedule
Plus 2 hours of courtroom observation
Volunteer Application – click on the following link to complete your application on-line: https://tx-fannin.evintosolutions.com/volunteerapplication
Applications are accepted at any time.
Deadline to apply to be in the next training class is August 17, 2021
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call Amanda McDonald at (903) 583-4339
- Come see us at 112 West Fifth Street, Bonham, Texas 75418